In early 1930’s, the U.S. Navy issued requirement for a small scout
amphibian as a replacement of the conventional floatplanes. Three
companies, Great Lakes, Loening and Sikorsky received contacts from BuAer
under a specification calling for a single-engine amphibian stressed for
catapult launches and with wing floated, small enough to fit into the
hanger space aboard Navy cruisers. In 1932, Great Lakes submitted a design
present a unorthodox biplane configuration with a single large pontoon
mounted below the lower wing. A single built prototype, designated the
XSG-1, was delivered to Naval Air Station Anacostia for trials in 1933.
Development quickly ended when trials revealed that the aircraft was
incapable of reaching the speeds required by the Navy,
further development was cancelled.