The Piasecki Model 59H was the one of three winners of the Army's "Flying Jeep" competition, and the only one to be field tested. In 1957, U.S. Army launched the flying jeep program. Piasecki submitted their model and was awarded contract for the development, designated VZ-8P (the "P" indicating
Piasecki). The first model was powered by a pair of Lycoming piston engines and was first flown on October 1958. The aircraft demonstrated that a tandem shrouded fan airframe is stable and can be effectively controlled by deflection vanes mounted in the downdraft. After being accepted by the Army, it was replaced by a single Turbomeca Artouste engine. The upgraded Airgeep flew on June 1959 and was put through trials for both the Army and Navy over the next few years. The smaller size of the VZ-8P provided several advantages over a helicopter. However, due to the smaller rotors, it could carry less weight and still cost as much to operate as a helicopter. As a result, the Army discontinued further experiments with this concept.