1932, the Soviet high command requested many new concepts of the airborne
warfare for aerial close-support to the army. That was included dropping
an armored vehicle from the sky to support the parachute troops. The
original concept was converting the 32 tons tank, T-34 into a glider and
towed by a pair of Ant-20bis as tugs. In 1939, Soviet airborne force
considered to try the light-weighted tank, T-60 for the experiment, and
selected Antonov OKB for the glider design. The prototype was started in
1941, and was given designation A-40, KT which meant "Kryl'ya Tanka"
(winged tank). The tank was lightened for flight test by removing the
armament, the signal light and the tracks fenders. The first and only
flight was made by tow from TB-3 in 1942. The test was judged successful
with smooth landing, but the test pilot (who also performed as the tank
driver) doubted that it would be lack of control if fly by the full loaded
tank. As the real need was to fly in the heavier T-34, and also due to the
shortage of the tow aircraft, the KT project was cancelled.