In 1940, Blohm & Voss began design work on a 8-engine flying boat, the
Bv.P.200 for RLM, which was expected to carry 120 passengers. However,
since the Jumo diesel engines never achieved operational maturity, the
P.200 project was dropped. In 1941, Blohm & Voss submitted a reworked
design which was virtually an enlarged Bv.222. The flying boat was given
designation Bv.238. A small-scaled flying model, the FFG.227 was to be
built in order to avoid difficulties in the Bv.238 prototype
construction. Both the FFG flight tests and development of the Bv.238
began as early as 1942. Because of the increasing thread of
Allies bombing raids, the Bv.238 delayed it first flight until March of
1945. Flight trials produced such outstanding results. Only after four
test flights, the unarmed prototype was ready for front-line testing.
Just four days before the war's end, the Bv.238 was sunk while docked on
Schaal Lake by gun fires of four Allies P-51 Mustangs. The Bv.238-V2 and
V3 were under construction when the war ended. Their hull and wing parts
were subsequently scrapped.